The autumn and winter months are the perfect time to experiment with darker makeup as the weather gets moodier and the days are shorter. Every fall, dark lipstick, eyeshadow and fashion emerges, and there’s no wonder why. A bolder, darker look inspired by vampiric entities is not only a glamourous way to change up your makeup routine but leaves you feeling sensual and empowered.
But don’t be fooled; despite the name, vampy lips are not just an extreme look for Halloween, though this works perfectly. Vampy lips is the result of applying rich, dark lipstick for any occasion. To many, sporting darker hues like burgundy or dark red lipstick can be intimidating.
If you’re new to wearing dark lipstick, the trick to rocking vampy lips is to avoid going overboard with your entire face makeup. A soft complexion and subtle makeup draw focus to your dark lips, balancing out the darker tones and allowing you to get used to the dark lipstick. However, creating a smoky eye to match your vampy lips will make a statement for the ultimate glamour.
Have you found yourself searching: how to apply red lipstick? In this burgundy/red lipstick makeup tutorial, Illamasqua Head Makeup Artist Mel Barrese breaks down her top tips for the perfect vampy lips. Add a sultry edge to your look or the missing piece to your Halloween theme.
Vampy lips are all about creating a bold, dark lipstick look to pair with subtle face makeup or a full-on smoky eye. You will need the following lip products, but feel free to choose the shade based on your personal preference and what you’re most likely to wear:
- ANTIMATTER LIPSTICK IN MIDNIGHT: Antimatter Lipstick is long-wearing, and shade Midnight is a red lipstick that suits multiple skin tones.
- ANTIMATTER LIPSTICK IN ELARA: Antimatter Lipstick delivers intense color payoff, shade Elara is a deep burgundy perfect to create vampy lips.
- ULTRAMATTER LIPSTICK IN FRICTION: an ultra-matte finish with color payoff, shade Friction is a dark red lipstick with purple undertones.
- COLOURING EYE PENCIL IN S.O.P.H.I.E: pencil-point definition in a jet-black finish to darken your vampy lips.
- SKIN BASE CONCEALER PEN: a high-coverage concealer in a matte finish.
- ROUND CONCEALER BRUSH: a small, fluffy brush to blend concealer.
- BLENDER BRUSH: a fluffy brush fit for blending out product anywhere on the face.
- LIP Brush: a flat-angled brush for control whilst lining the lips and applying lipstick.
- LOOSE POWDER: finely-milled Loose Powder to set and lock your makeup in place.
- COTTON BUD: to tidy up any mistakes.